William Edward Hartpole Lecky
Historical Period: The 19th Century
William Lecky (1838-1903) was an Irish essayist and historian who wrote on the rise of rationalism in Europe, the history of 18th century England, the spread of the franchise (which he opposed), and Irish Home Rule (which he also opposed). He was a member of the British Parliament and of the British Academy but turned down an offer for the Regius chair of modern history at Oxford University (possibly because he feared it would interrupt his busy writing schedule).
- Author: Democracy and Liberty (1899 ed.)
- Author: Democracy and Liberty, (LF ed.)
- Author: Historical and Political Essays
- Author: A History of England in the Eighteenth Century, 8 vols.
- Author: History of European Morals from Augustus to Charlemagne, 2 vols.
- Introduction: The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, 12 vols.
- Author: History of the Rise and Influence of the Spirit of Rationalism in Europe, 2 vols.